Businesses and their leaders wield an increasingly dangerous amount of power in our economy. They dangle jobs in front of struggling communities and the politicians who represent them. They use the promise of job creation to justify bringing harmful industries to rural communities. They put workers in a position where they must choose between having a job and doing what is best for their community; and they force millions of citizens into doing work that is unfulfilling, socially harmful, or detrimental to the environment.
We need measures in place to rebalance power between businesses and the workers who generate their profits. We need a variety of democratically-run small businesses and organizations. But a pro-worker economy isn’t just about commerce. There is plenty of work to do that enriches our communities without jeopardizing our future or widening the gap between the richest and poorest among us. We need to change the conversation from being about providing “jobs” to providing financial security, well-being, and meaningful livelihoods to everyone who is able to contribute.
We all deserve a say in how things run. And we all deserve to benefit from the abundant resources in our society.
Things I'll be fighting for
- Workforce unionization and collective bargaining power for workers
- Reducing unnecessary restrictions, fees, and bureaucracy for small businesses
- Incentives for democratically run businesses that benefit their communities
- Incentives for worker co-ops and employee owned businesses
- Raising the federal minimum wage to a living wage of at least $15 per hour, (indexed to inflation)
- Adopting a 30 hour work week as the standard
- No forced overtime for workers
- Flexible working schedules
- A minimum 1 month of paid vacation per year for all workers
- A minimum 12 months of paid family leave for new parents (biological and adoptive)
- A federal universal basic income and federal job guarantee to support those affected by market fluctuations, job displacement, and automation
- Universal health coverage, regardless of employment status
On Tuesday, September 10th, vote for Allen Smith.
Join our movement.
Help us reclaim our future by replacing our broken and corrupt systems, empowering working people and communities, and saving our planet while we're at it. It won't be easy. It will take all of us working together. But working together is what we do best. We can do this. We, the people, are going to win.