Corporations wield a disproportionate amount of power in our country. They have become too big and too influential over our laws, which have increasingly allowed them to exploit our people and destroy our environment, all with the primary goals of endless economic growth and generating larger and larger profits. Our governments use hefty tax breaks to sell out our communities to big businesses, touting wealthy executives as job creators and economic saviors. But jobs are only a means to an end for those of us who work for a living. More than jobs, we want financial stability and a feeling of fulfillment. We value not just material wealth, but the things which truly make life worth living — our time, our health, our relationships, our communities, and our environment.
No human being should live for work or need to work to live. We are better than that.
All business has a social contract with society and the environment. To create a just and enduring society, we need to create a system of commerce where every act is sustainable and restorable. We must change the fundamental design of corporations so that they generate profits, but not at the expense of the environment, human rights, public health, workers, or the communities in which the corporation operates. Our planet cannot afford business as usual any longer.
Things I'll be fighting for
- Eliminating federal income tax for individuals earning less than $25,000 and families earning less than $50,000 (adjusted for inflation)
- Adopting a 30-hour work week as a standard
- A federal universal basic income for every adult regardless of health, employment, or marital status, in order to minimize government bureaucracy and intrusiveness into people's lives. The amount should be sufficient so that anyone who is unemployed can afford basic food and shelter.
- Protecting Social Security from privatization
- Strongly progressive taxes that shift the burden from the middle and lower class to corporations and the super-rich
- A wealth tax of 0.5% per year on assets over $5,000,000
- Taxing unearned income at the same rate as earned income
- An end to corporate welfare. Eliminate loopholes and other exemptions that favor corporate and wealthy interests.
- Tax policy which encourages small and socially responsible business
- An economic system that is based on a combination of private businesses, decentralized democratic cooperatives, publicly owned enterprises, and alternative economic structures
- Ending taxpayer-funded bailouts for banks, insurers, and other financial companies
- Incentives for local, small businesses, worker co-operatives, credit unions, and other institutions that help strengthen communities
- Federal chartering of corporations that includes comprehensive, strict and enforceable social responsibility requirements
- An end to corporate personhood
- Strengthening our civil justice system to ensure that it holds corporations strictly liable for corporate crime, fraud, violence and malfeasance
- Enforcing existing antitrust laws and supporting even tougher new ones to curtail the overwhelming economic and political power of large corporations
- Increasing funding for and strengthening oversight of federal antitrust enforcement
Join our movement.
Help us reclaim our future by replacing our broken and corrupt systems, empowering working people and communities, and saving our planet while we're at it. It won't be easy. It will take all of us working together. But working together is what we do best. We can to this. We, the people, are going to win.