The United States is the richest, most powerful country on earth. And yet we are the only industrialized country without a national health program. We pay more for treatment and medicine. The out-of-pocket costs of medical care have a huge financial impact on millions of people, even those who have insurance. Medical debt is the leading cause of bankruptcy in our country. Nearly half of all Americans say they would have a difficult time paying an unexpected $500 medical bill. Access to affordable health insurance is simply not enough. Meanwhile, the insurance companies, big pharmaceutical companies, and for-profit hospital systems are raking in more profits than ever.
It is time to give the people the care we all deserve. It’s time to stop throwing around words like “access” and “affordable” as qualifiers just to keep big businesses happy. Leading the way on big challenges is embedded in the fabric of our country’s history. We need to put that same caliber of leadership into a true universal, single-payer healthcare system. We can show everyone what it looks like when the most powerful country in the world puts the health and well-being of people above the pursuit of profits.
Things I'll be fighting for
- A universal, single-payer healthcare program, funded federally but administered at the state and local level
- Comprehensive lifetime benefits including dental, vision, mental health care, substance abuse treatment, medication coverage, and hospice and long-term care
- Portability of coverage regardless of where you live or if you have a job
- Greatly reduced paperwork for both patients and providers
- Participation of all licensed and/or certified health providers, subject to standards of practice in their field
- Freedom of patients to choose the type of health care provider from a wide range of healthcare choices
- Decision-making in the hands of patients and their health providers, not insurance companies
- Cost controls via streamlined administration, national fee schedules, bulk purchases of drugs and medical equipment, coordination of capital expenditures and publicly negotiated prices of medications
- Primary and preventive care as priorities, including wellness education about diet, nutrition, and exercise, as well as holistic health and medical marijuana
- More comprehensive services for those who have special needs, including the mentally ill, the differently abled and those who are terminally ill
- A mental health care system that safeguards human dignity, respects individual autonomy, and protects informed consent
- Fair and full reimbursement to providers for their services
- Hospitals that can afford safe and adequate staffing levels of registered nurses
- Establishment of national, state, and local health policy boards consisting of health consumers and providers to oversee and evaluate the performance of the system, ensure access to care, and help determine research priorities
- Establishment of a National Health Trust Fund that would channel all current Federal payments for health care programs directly into the Fund, in addition to employees' health premium payments
On Tuesday, September 10th, vote for Allen Smith.
Join our movement.
Help us reclaim our future by replacing our broken and corrupt systems, empowering working people and communities, and saving our planet while we're at it. It won't be easy. It will take all of us working together. But working together is what we do best. We can do this. We, the people, are going to win.