Our constitution protects the freedoms and rights we have as citizens. It is the contract that empowers us to enjoy our liberty. For freedom and power to be sustainable, it’s imperative that we all exercise our rights responsibly. We have a duty to take care of each other. It balances our freedom to do as we please and also checks our power to trample the rights of others.
Rest assured, the second amendment is not under attack. But the powerful, corrupt gun lobby is pouring money and influence into campaigns to mislead us and trick us into believing that any kind of reform to our gun laws is an outright ambush on our constitution.
Reports show that nearly 40,000 people lose their lives to a firearm in our country every year. To put that number in perspective, it’s about one person every 13 minutes. It’s important to unpack this epidemic to better understand what is happening and how to prevent it. We need to implement a holistic approach that includes gun laws that nurture responsible gun ownership, resources and support to combat the social conditions that increase gun violence, and measures to keep guns out of the hands of those most likely to harm themselves or others with them.
Things I'll be fighting for
- Universal background checks for anyone who wants to buy a firearm or ammunition
- Closing the gun show loophole
- Increasing funding for gun violence research
- Programs to address economic inequality, poverty, and access to mental health resources
- Maintaining a standardized registry of gun ownership, administered at the state and local level
- Requiring all gun owners to be thoroughly trained to own it and operate it responsibly
- Requiring all gun owners to be licensed and periodically tested to ensure they’re physically, mentally, and emotionally fit to keep and use a firearm without posing a risk to themselves or others
- Requiring gun owners to carry liability insurance to protect against involuntary harm their firearm may cause to others
- Prohibiting the sale of firearms to domestic violence abusers
- Prohibiting the sale of assault weapons
- Limiting the number of rounds a firearm can hold
- Prohibiting the sale of accessories that increase the lethality of a gun
- Revising the 1033 program to eliminate military-grade weaponry from local law-enforcement agencies
- Support for state and local law enforcement agencies to increase non-lethal and nonviolent de-escalation tactics
Join our movement.
Help us reclaim our future by replacing our broken and corrupt systems, empowering working people and communities, and saving our planet while we're at it. It won't be easy. It will take all of us working together. But working together is what we do best. We can do this. We, the people, are going to win.